The Small Batch Natural Wines you just have to try at Erst

We got a complete run down of the wines available at Erst for the next few weeks but be quick if you want to try them.

2013 La Milla Casina Borgatta
Winemaker, Emilio Oliver, produces this Dolcetto from their small estate in Piemonte. This wine is produced from two different parcels of land. 20% is grown on clay, giving the wine more concentration, tannin and body. The main body and the remaining 80% is grown on calcareous soil with volcanic influence. The wine is left more delicate and elegant.

The blend of the two creates a beautifully rounded wine. We’ve also been told that this is one of Erst’s owners favourite wine and definitely worth a try!

2018 Domaine Sebastien David Cabernet Franc Hurluberlu
Another firm staff favourite of Erst is this red wine, not to be confused with a massive glass bottle of Coke. Sébastien David makes deliciously crunchy Cabernet Franc from his vineyards situated on the limestone-clay and gravels of the Loire.

This wine is unusually served from the fridge as it’s exuberantly fresh, brimming with cherry and cranberry flavours that promise to dance all over your palate and are better served chilled.

2017 Force Majeure Red Blend
This is 53% Syrah, 20% Cinsault, 17% Mourvedre and 10% Grenache, all hand-picked from different parcels of lands across the Swartland. The medley of grapes makes a medium to light-bodied red, that has everything in the right place: bright fruit, freshness, balance, tannin, perfume, and a soft finish. Incredibly easy to drink. 

2017 Nando Blue Label Malvasia
This wine is from a small winery based in Slovenia on the border of the Collio region, which produces Friuli the traditional orange wine. Malvasia is an indigenous grape and is an excellent point for orange wine. The grape has a short skin Maceration making it concentrated yet very fresh. The wine is a great introduction into Orange wine, filled with ginger, sweet spice, dried fruits and isn’t too tannic, making it an easy-drinking orange wine. 

2019 Eschenhof Holzer Zweigelt Rose
The Holzer family farm is now being run by 23 year old, Arnold Holzer, the fifth generation to be in charge of the farm since 2010. The small estate in the heart of Wagram has been in organic conversion since 2017. This Zweigelt rose is mainly harvested by machine, directly pressed, clarified and fermented in stainless steel. This keeps the cost down whilst keeps the freshness of the wine, with lots of red fruits.

2018 Azul y Garanza Naturaleza Salvaje Blanco
Tucked among a wild vineyard, brother and sister team Maria and Fernando Barrena are huge champions of organic viticulture and biodiversity. This Garnacha Blanca has 2 weeks of skin contact in open fermenters. The final flavours are nutty, peachy and herbal with hints of orange blossom.

2018 Force Majeure Chenin Blanc
Johan Meyer, who hosted a wine event at Erst earlier this month let Erst keep a few bottles to showcase for the next few weeks. The entire Force Majeure range has a goal to be clean, low intervention wines at affordable prices. This 2018 Chenin Blanc is beautifully fresh and pure, with notes of pear and apples on the nose. It is pleasantly silky and textured on the palate.

2018 Fattoria San Lorenzo Verdicchio
The third generation ran winery believes in no intervention in the vineyard and winery that is completely organic and biodynamic. This 100% Verdicchio is rich and expressive with notes of fresh orchard fruits, with lovely texture, and nutty complexity. This wine is perfectly paired with fish or chicken and is very approachable.

Comments

comments

Related articles

Subscribe to our Newsletter

For how we use personal data see our privacy policy.