A free, adults-only evening of sci-fi activities comes to Manchester.
In news that will delight many of my closest friends and acquaintances, the Science and Industry Museum are hosting an adults-only evening of science fiction-themed activities on Wednesday 18th March.
From 7pm – 10pm, Science Fiction Late will transport visitors into a parallel universe full of interactive workshops, enlightening talks and engaging demonstrations.
There will be more than 20 activities available throughout the evening, including the opportunity to get up close to one of the eggs used in the original Alien film, which is now part of the Science Museum Group’s collection.
Visitors will also get the chance to become apprentices at a Jedi Fight Academy workshop, meet the Tenth Doctor and see if they can avoid getting exterminated by a Dalek.
You’ll also get to…
● Travel to a galaxy far, far away and journey through the technology and physics of Star Wars.
● Find out what’s next in the world of voice recognition technology with BBC Research and Development.
● Take part in a draw-along workshop to engineer your own alien.
● Boldly go where no medicine has gone before with a prototype handheld biosensor device (yes, it’s a Tricorder from Star Trek).
● Discover whether we could really engineer an army of killer robot bees, as seen in an infamous episode of Black Mirror.
Georgina Wells, Contemporary Science Programme Coordinator at the museum, said: “We’re really looking forward to the Science Fiction Late. It’s an unmissable programme of interactive activities that showcase the fun and social side of science.
“Whether it’s designing a driverless car, watching a diamond laser demo or finding out about the Black Mirror robot bees, there will be lots of opportunities for everyone to get involved.
“The Lates provide adult visitors with an alternative experience of the museum and we encourage anyone interested in science fiction to book a free ticket and come along to this event.”
As well as the activities on offer, visitors can enjoy the museum’s café and bar, which will be serving a special sci-fi themed cocktail on the night.
Science Fiction Late @ Science and Industry Museum
Date: Wednesday 18th March
Time: 7pm – 10pm