- Slice onions & garlic, fry gently in a little vegetable oil until soft.
- Add the paprika & cumin seeds, stirring regularly cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Add BBQ sauce and as much or as little as your favourite hot sauce as you want (remember it's easy to add more, but a bit trickier to take it out…) & turn the heat down low.
- Strain the jackfruit and discard the liquid, break up the chunks either with your hands or chop through them with a knife, add to the sauce mix, stir thoroughly & put a lid on.
- Peel the pineapple & discard the core, then chop finely. Ditto the spring onions. Mix them together & season with a pinch of salt & the juice of a lime then set aside.
- Stir the jackfruit mix & season with hot sauce and salt as needed.
- Thinly slice radishes & pick coriander leaves.
- When the jackfruit is soft and bubbling away (15-20 mins) you're ready to rock!
- Warm your tortillas as directed on the packet, top with the jackfruit (remember you've got to be able to get it in your mouth!) add pineapple salsa on top and garnish with radishes & coriander. Serve with a lime wedge on the side.
The Hatch Cook Book: Barbacoa Jackfruit Tacos from El Marchador
The thing we love the most about Manchester's latest hot-spot Hatch is its diversity. In one afternoon, your taste buds can be taken across the globe from Jamacia to Canada to Mexico to Scandinavia- and it's got us feeling all creative (and hungry!)
By Manchester's Finest | Last updated March 6th '18
Share this story
Barbacoa Jackfruit Tacos from El Marchador (Serves two hungry people) Ingredients 2x Cans of Jackfruit in brine 1x Large white onion, diced 2x Cloves Garlic 2x tsp. paprika 2x tsp. cumin seeds 3x tbsp. barbeque sauce 1/4 x Pineapple 1/2 x bunch spring onion 2 x limes Bunched radishes (to taste) Corriander (to taste) 6 x Corn Tortillas Method