National developer Muse, and Bury Council have joined forces to accelerate the regeneration of Prestwich Village, with the aim of transforming the Longfield Centre into the heart of the community.
Following the formation of the joint venture, the team will embark on a ‘community conversation’, giving both residents and businesses the opportunity to have their say and help to shape a masterplan for the regeneration.
Both Muse and the council are working up initial plans to sustainably redevelop the centre, creating new spaces to help people and businesses thrive, with a mix of high-quality homes and family-friendly spaces, as well as a new community hub.
While the plans are still at an early stage, key ambitions for the new Prestwich Village include:
- Pride in place – cultivating an inclusive place for all
- Green first – high-quality streets and spaces that link to surrounding green areas in the village
- Community led – creating a community hub at the heart of Prestwich
- Belong here – championing Prestwich’s diversity and heritage to create a welcoming community
- Together for good – promoting health and wellbeing through vibrant community spaces
- Collectively independent – creating new spaces to nurture and enhance Prestwich’s strong business community
- Future environments – enhancing the environment for future generations with a low-carbon neighbourhood
- Walk, run, jump – a people-first approach that promotes more active and outdoor lifestyles through new public spaces with walking and cycling routes
- Positively connected – strengthening Prestwich’s green transport infrastructure to be safe, accessible and well connected.
The first stage of the conversation is set to include a series of drop-in sessions at Prestwich Library, online Q&As for local residents and community groups, and stakeholder workshops.
There will be a number of opportunities for everyone to get involved in shaping the plans over the next year and people are being encouraged to register their interest in attending workshops and events.
David Burkinshaw, development director at Muse, said: “Redeveloping the Longfield Centre will help cement Prestwich as one of the best places to live and visit in the North West for many years to come.
“This is a huge opportunity to create a vibrant new destination for Prestwich that will be an exemplar of sustainable placemaking, deliver social value for the community, and provide the flexible spaces that local and independent businesses need to thrive into the future."
Cllr Eamonn O'Brien, leader of Bury Council furthered: “The regeneration of our town centres is a crucial part of our strategy to make sure all areas of our borough can flourish for generations to come.
“This is the biggest single investment we have ever put into Prestwich as we are determined to transform the town and bring about much-needed improvement for the benefit of residents, businesses and visitors.
“I urge all residents and businesses to take part in the consultation events we will be hosting with Muse, and give us your views. It’s essential that everyone is behind the plans to create the Prestwich of the future.”